It is quite natural for the wastewater treatment plants to generate repulsive odours. These units collect effluents from both industrial and municipal sectors, in order to neutralize their toxicity before they get released into the environment.
There are two major causes that may intensify the levels of these abhorrent smells and these reasons are mentioned as follows:
- In the summer months, with an increase in temperature of the surroundings, the temperature of the accumulated sewage also rise. Due to this upsurge, the aerobic bacteria becomes active and start digesting BOD (Biological Oxygen Demand) as well as other nutrients at a much considerable speed. This leads to lowering of dissolved oxygen, which in turn increases the intensity of odours.
- Low levels of oxygen in the wastewater could create anoxic zones. In such situation, the microbes present in the sewage start producing sulphur dioxide, carbon monoxide, hydrogen sulphide and other obnoxious gases at higher levels.
These disgusting smells make the lives of the workers as well as of the neighboring people absolutely intolerable. It is high time that the authorities move forward and implement some relevant solutions. Well, after years of research and experimentation, they did come up with three devices that could lead to successful odour control. In the following discussion, let us know more about them in details.
Odour Regulating Devices
- Carbon Scrubbers make use of activated carbon and dry products to treat the toxic emissions. This technology is primarily used in the industrial chimneys and rebreathers with an aim to restrict harmful components and make the environment clean, healthy and usable.
- Biological filters or Biofilters are specifically designed for serving the environment. This eco-friendly solution deals with all kinds of obnoxious smells. It makes use of microorganisms to reduce the flow and content of sewage. They are amazing options, which requires low maintenance and are readily available at a reasonable price.
- Chemical scrubbers remove the smells by using water streams impregnated with large amounts of chemicals. They are mainly designed to remove odour causing compounds like Hydrogen Sulphide and Ammonia. These devices could effectually eliminate the poisonous emissions and chemical dissipations.
All the above-mentioned devices are chiefly made of FRP or fibre-reinforced plastic, which makes them even more advantageous. This composite material is noted for having some amazing features and owing to them, it has quite successfully replaced the conventional metal alternatives. The exclusive characteristics are as follows:
- Great Strengths
- Resistant to heat, fire and chemicals
- Flexible Designs
- High enduring capacity
Thus, all the top-notch wastewater treatment organizations out there decided to use FRP odour control systems for carrying on their work without any hassles.